Just so you know, this post contains affiliate links. That means if you use them to make a purchase, I may earn a commission. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
Random acts of kindness should never be reserved only for the holidays; the Bible tells us we are to let our light shine before men ALWAYS (Matthew 5:16). You can make doing random acts of kindness a year-round-habit for your family, and teach your kids how to let their lights shine.
Homeschooling our kids gives us a lot of opportunities to teach kindness and work on building character in our kids. Whether it’s working on showing kindness to our own family in our homeschool or doing small things to brighten other people’s days, the moments we spend instilling these values are priceless.
Some of our favorite acts of kindness as a family are:
- Leaving snacks and treats out for our mailman and delivery drivers. This is fun during the holidays, but even more so randomly during the year when it’s least expected.
- Leaving handmade gifts, cards, or other small surprises on our friends’ doorsteps.
- Doing chores around the house without being asked (or doing a sibling’s chore out of the blue to be kind or help them out!).
- Painting rocks with kind messages to hide.
- Baking meals for someone going through a hard time, or who just had a baby.
Family Acts of Kindness Sunbeam Challenge
You can help get your kids excited about sharing God’s love through their acts of service and love with this fun, sweet, Sunbeams for Jesus activity (I’ve got a FREE printable included for you in this post).
Is you family up for the challenge? Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Grab the free printable at the end of this post, and print it out on white cardstock.
- Color and cut out the outline of the sun and glue it to colorful poster board (you can use any color!).
- Put the poster on the wall, in a place that will be easily seen each day.
- Color and cut out the kindness challenge “beams” and put them in a jar or a box. There is a blank set of beams in case you have other random acts of kindness ideas you’d like to add. You can find some other suggestions here if you want more ideas!
- Have your kids pick a “beam” challenge to do everyday. There are really no rules to this part; you can pick one every day, every other day, or have a “kindness week” – whenever your family decides it’s “SUNBEAM TIME!”. Pick them at random, or look through them to decide what to do.
- When the activity is complete, glue it to the sun poster.
The more beams, the brighter the sun shines!
I hope you have a great time completing this challenge with your kids, serving others and making memories along the way.
Enter your info below to have immediate access to this fun printable. Enjoy!
Drop a comment below: what are some of your favorite acts of kindness you have done with your family? I would love to hear about them!
Thank you so much for reading and sharing! Have a blessed week!
- Random Acts of Kindness: How to Make Them a Habit
- How to Build a Great Foundation for Service With Your Kids
- How To Begin Volunteering With Your Family
Blessed Homeschool is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.